Classical Science, Math, and Logic courses for Upper School students in six grade and up are offered on Thursdays. This is in addition to the four courses offered on Mondays. Though Thursday courses are offered á la carte, Monday enrollment is required to be eligible. A hallmark of classical education is the value placed on the interrelation of knowledge. The solid, shared foundation in Latin, classics, literature, and composition create a unique fellowship of learning for Thursday’s upper school studies. Read more about the classical approach to math and science here. Classes are offered between 8:30 AM and 3:00 PM. Schedule is TBD.
For link to complete class materials, see our Book List.
Proposed Thursday schedule, subject to change depending on enrollment and teacher availability. Current as of 3/4/2020.
|8:30 – 10:00||Algebra 1||Biology||Earth Science|
|10:00 – 11:30||Trees/World Bio||Physical Science||Algebra 2|
|12:00 – 1:30||Understanding Math||Pre-Algebra||Intro Physics*|
|1:30 – 3:00||Traditional Logic||Intro Physics Math Support*||–|
- Trees & The World of Biology, 6th grade. An age-appropriate science course focusing on appreciation for the majesty of the created order, specifically trees. This lighter course load is perfect for students who are focusing extra time on Latin and Classics.
- Trees & The World of Biology, no math prerequisite., $400
- Earth Science
- Novare Earth Science, no math pre/co-requisite, $500
- Physical Science
- Novare Physical Science, pre/co-requisite of Pre-Algebra (does not have to be at HLN), $500
- Introductory Physics with lab, high school only
- Novare Introductory Physics, pre/co-requisite of Algebra I, $550 includes lab fee
- *For students who are taking Algebra I concurrently an additional 1.5 hour Math Support class is required. This class will provide math support for Algebra I & Introductory Physics. $200.
- Biology, high school only
- Novare Biology, $550 includes lab fee
- Chemistry with lab, high school only (not offered in 2020-2021)
- Novare General Chemistry, pre/co-requisite of Algebra II, $550 includes lab fee
- Understanding Mathematics, The perfect course for on-level sixth graders or seventh graders who are younger and/or need more time to solidify arithmetic before beginning Pre-Algebra. 6th & 7th grades $400
- Pre-Algebra (Lial), 7th & 8th grades $500
- Algebra I (Prentice Hall Classics), 8th grade and up, $550
- Algebra II (Prentice Hall Classics), 9th grade and up, $550
- Geometry (Jurgensen), 10th grade and up, $550 (not offered in 2020-2021)
A special note on math courses: We understand that no math class can be fully taught in 1.5 hours per week. At HLN we offer a teacher to guide and explain material in class to help keep your student on pace for the year. Students must do diligent daily work at home to master material. When available, we require streaming videos as an aid to daily work outside of class.
Traditional Logic I & II:
The Traditional Logic Program is an in-depth study of the classical syllogism. HLN students will complete books I & II in one school year. In Book I students will gain a basic understanding of terms, statements, and simple categorical arguments. Book II covers the figures of the traditional syllogism, forms of rhetorical arguments, kinds of hypothetical syllogisms, kinds of complex syllogisms, as well as relational arguments. By the end of this course, the student will be able to analyze a variety of argument forms as well as recognize and respond to dilemmas. The level of understanding attained in this course would be more than that typical attained in a college course. $500
Material Logic & Classical Rhetoric (Offered on alternating years with Traditional Logic I & II. Next offered 2021-2022.)
U.S. History (Offered on alternating years. Next offered 2021-2022.)