HLN is offering ATF&F/EGR1, Fable, Narrative, Chreia/Maxim, Refutation/Confirmation, and Common Topic levels for 2018-2019.
The cost for each class is $375 per student through Narrative level, then $400 per student from Chreia/Maxim forward.
The Memoria Press composition sequence is as follows. Students coming to Classical Composition at older ages may benefit from an accelerated sequence through the first two levels. Please see the additional notes below* and speak to the Directors if this applies to your family. High school students may want to consider the fast-track three year sequence offered through the Memoria Press Online Academy.
- All Things Fun & Fascinating/English Grammar Recitation I
- Common Topic
- Thesis & Law
All Things Fun and Fascinating (IEW) and English Grammar Recitation Book 1 (1.5 hour class) – 2:00 to 3:30
This course has been developed with younger students in mind. The composition portion will focus on structure and style skills needed to start Classical Composition in fourth or fifth grade. The English grammar will consist of the memorization of grammar and punctuation rules, as well as practice using the rules. This course is the perfect supplement to Latina Christiana. (Grade 3 & younger 4th graders)
- Course Materials: All Things Fun & Fascinating Set, English Grammar Recitation I Student, and English Grammar Recitation I Teacher
Classical Composition (1.5 hour class) – 2:00 to 3:30
Going back to the method of writing instruction used for over 2,000 years, Classical Composition teaches the student 14 composition skills, called the “Progymnasmata.” These skills are the set of elementary rhetorical exercises that form the basis of persuasive writing. They were employed by Quintilian and Cicero to teach writing and produced writers such as Milton, Shakespeare, and Benjamin Franklin. These classes move at an age-appropriate pace, and they provide your student with the tools to communicate with clarity and force. (Grades 4 + taken in sequence. *Starting Classical Composition with a student older than fifth grade? See here for the suggested and modified sequence. The Memoria Press Online Academy also offered condensed writing programs online which can be ideal for high schoolers new to Memoria Press.)
Never heard of the progymnasmata? Take a moment to explore this article, Introduction to the Progymnasmata.
- Fable Materials, Student Book & Teacher Guide
- Narrative Materials, Student Book & Teacher Guide
- Chreia/Maxim Materials, Student Book & Teacher Guide
- Refutation/Confirmation Materials, Student Book & Teacher Guide
- Common Topic, Student Book & Teacher Guide **This class may move into Encomium, Invective, and Comparison level during the school year depending on their pace. If necessary, the next set will need to be purchased at that time.