Kindergarten to Second grade primary classes to support families using Memoria Press curriculum in their homeschool. The classes are offered as a full-day option only, 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM.
Memoria Press curriculum plans are laid out for a five-day week. Mondays at HLN helps you by handling the “Monday” academic assignments and gets you ready for the rest of the week at home.
HLN works in tandem with our other days of school at home. It anchors our week, gives our daughter a group of kids who are part of this same endeavor, and gives me so much support and encouragement. -Katy H.
Primary classes are directed by a lead teacher and a full time teaching assistant. Mornings focus on academic work and afternoons focus on the entire week’s Literature and Enrichment portion from the cores. Generally, the focus for each class will be:
- Kindergarten: Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Literature and Enrichment
- First Grade: Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, *Cursive, and Literature & Enrichment (using Second Grade set from MP)
- Second Grade: Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Cursive, *Prima Latina, and Literature & Enrichment
*Denotes material that will be new to each year of study.
Highlights of a day in HLN Primary School:
- Latin (for second grade)
- reading and phonics
- mid-morning recess in the gym, open play and old fashioned games (30 mins)
- copybook penmanship and memorization (including cursive for first and second)
- math facts practice & games
- Lunch time is shared with the entire school creating a special opportunity for the children to connect across ages.
- 30 minute rest time (Kindergarten only)
- Memoria Press Primary Literature & Enrichment: read-alouds, music, art appreciation, poetry, and history/science/culture read-alouds and discussion
- mid-afternoon recess in the gym, open play and old fashioned games (30 mins)
Eligibility & Readiness: At HLN we are not in a rush to get a great education.
- Kindergartners must be 5 on or before July 1. For specific help in determining readiness for Memoria Press Kindergarten curriculum, see this online resource. If you are in doubt, please consider waiting a year. There is no rush to begin formal schooling. If your child is clamoring for instruction but they are not ready to begin Kindergarten yet, consider Memoria Press’s Junior-K two day per week program.
- First graders must be able to read Little Bear with help.
- Second graders must be reading well with a good grasp of English phonics in preparation for adding Latin. If they have not already started cursive, they should start practicing. More here.
2017-2018 Costs for Kindergarten – Second Grade:
- $125 non-refundable enrollment fee per student, increases to $150 on May 1 and $175 on June 1.
- $1800 Tuition for full day program, 8:00 to 3:30
- $125 Primary Class Book and Supply Fee (covering materials and supplies used in class.)
Families must purchase the core curriculum for home use (see links below). The separate HLN Book and Supply Fee will cover the items needed for the tutorial day’s work in the classroom. Note: Memoria Press will always update your teacher materials or lesson plans for free when they are updated, so long as you’ve purchased directly from them. This will be helpful for those of you with other little ones coming along.
For use at home, you need only to purchase the core curriculum. The read-aloud set as well as the Science and Enrichment read-aloud sets are completely at your discretion, as funds allow. Students will encounter this material on Mondays while at HLN. Many of these titles can be found at the local library or used book store if they aren’t already on your own bookshelves!
Purchase core curriculum here:
- First Grade (New MP users should add the First Grade New User Add on Set.)
- Second Grade (New MP users should add the Second Grade New User Add on Set.)