Highlands Latin Nashville Return to School
We look forward to welcoming you back to HLN as we plan to resume on-campus classes for the fall 2020 semester. Classes will begin on Monday, August 17th, and Thursday, August 20th.
Our plans for reopening are being developed based on the CDC guidelines for schools. As these guidelines or the risk of the virus change, we will adjust. A summary of the CDC recommendations are below.
Stay home when appropriate
This is the most important preventative measure. We will follow the CDC guidance for ending home isolation after Covid-19. In general, returning to school after symptoms requires:
- 3 days with no fever and
- Respiratory symptoms have improved (e.g. cough, shortness of breath) and
- 10 days since symptoms first appeared
It is expected that parents take the temperature of each child before leaving home to come to HLN. Our standard procedure is that students stay home if their temperature is above 100 degrees F. We will ask if temperatures have been taken as students arrive. Students risk being sent home if their temperatures are not taken before arriving. Consider purchasing a thermometer to keep in your vehicle.
Encourage Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Etiquette (wash hands and cover coughs)
Adequate Supplies (soap, paper towels, hand sanitizer, etc.)
- Washing hands for 20 seconds with soap and water is the most effective defense.
- Hand sanitizer may be effective when access to soap and water is limited.
Signs and Messages in prominent areas
Regular Cleaning and Disinfection
- Recent CDC guidance states that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads.
- We will begin the day with disinfected surfaces and look for additional opportunities to disinfect throughout the day.
Reducing Shared Objects, especially those that are hard to disinfect
- Primary students will be provided with a personal set of supplies (pencils, crayons, scissors, etc.) for use at HLN. The sets will not be shared with other students. As before, students will only need to bring their books and food for the day.
- As before, 3rd-12th grade students will bring all of their own classroom supplies.
Modified Classroom Layouts to increase spacing
- We will increase spacing in classrooms when possible.
- We are working to reduce the number of students and classes in lunch at one time. This will probably result in some students eating lunch in their classrooms.
- We will limit classroom changes as much as possible for students.
The CDC currently recommends but does not require cloth face coverings.
- HLN will make a determination about recommending or requiring face coverings based on Davidson County health guidelines closer to opening of school.
- We will continue to provide play and stretch breaks with modified times and activities. Shared equipment will not be available.
The following resources guide our planning. Changes in these documents will likely change our precautions.
CDC Guidance for Ending Home Isolation after Covid-19 (or the flu).
If you have any specific concerns or questions, please email us at email@example.com.